In 1827, local physician and entrepreneur Thomas Garvie negotiates with Cornelius Vanderbilt to operate steamboat service between Glen Cove and New York City. By midcentury, Glen Cove grows into a major summer resort community as wealthy Manhattanites flock to new hotels near the steamboat landing. Around this time, the industrial era reaches the shores of Glen Cove with the opening of the sprawling Duryea Starch Works Manufacturing Company.
Additional factories launch operations on Glen Cove Creek including Ladew Leather Works, Columbia Carbon and Ribbon and Powers Chemco. Manufacturing operations continue here for another hundred years. In 1917, Glen Cove becomes an independent city, giving residents a greater say in government. Financiers, industrialists and magnates including J. P. Morgan and F. W. Woolworth build waterfront estates some of which still stand, elevating Glen Cove into a prime Gold Coast destination.
In one of Long Island’s most ambitious projects, Garvies Point becomes a national model of sustainable development with its forward-thinking plan to revive the Glen Cove waterfront. In a nod to history, Garvies Point is named for Dr. Thomas Garvie whose former estate is now part of the Garvies Point Museum and Preserve, an education center for Long Island geology research.